Sunday, March 14, 2021

The Tower(s)

Time for a new landscape. Two very similar sky fabrics I had painted a long time ago were calling from the closet--so, the more colorful one became water, reflecting the paler one.

Fabric audition

As soon as they went up on the design wall, my favorite stone fabric came to mind. I've kept plenty in stock ever since making a tower from it 8 or 9 years ago...

Section of my first tower quilt, The Tower

...so I decided to make a tower again, though with some variation.

The current tower, which finished at 25" long, began with the piece on the left...which after staring at it reminded me of a sausage...

             

...so I trimmed and tapered it more. The buttress/battlements section was pieced separately and glued atop the columnar piece, then delineated with two rows of black satin-stitch. Windows and a door were added. After some consternation at seeing the slightly lopsided doorway, I decided to write it off as a stonemason issue. How perfectly could they work with uncut stone, anyway? 😉

While the tower was being constructed, the background was developing, too. Not that I was in two places at once, but it was nice to periodically break away from one to work on the other.

Here the raw edges had just been free-motion stitched to the quilt top with clear mono-poly thread.

The day after I finished piecing this new tower, I was thrilled to receive an e-mail from Art Quilting Studio magazine, saying they had selected my first tower quilt for publication in their Summer 2021 issue. And how coincidental is that?!? They of course had no idea about what I'm working on currently!

Next time, the finished quilt.

Happy almost-spring here in the northern hemisphere! Happy almost-autumn in the southern one.

Linda

5 comments:

  1. Wow - you have a great selection of fabrics! I'm loving all those wonderful greens in the foreground. And...best of all - Art Quilting Studio acceptance - that's great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've always kept a large collection of landscape fabric, but the flower fabric in the foreground was just purchased last summer--at the time I had no idea I'd be using it so soon! Mostly I use trees and grasses. Unfortunately, many of those are about the same tone, so not much contrast. This one worked out.

      Delete
  2. Your fabric choices are absolutely brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rhonda. Wasn't sure about those purple mountains at first, but they grew on me!

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled merely to prevent spam. Your comment should show up within a day or two. Thank you for your patience.