Saturday, April 25, 2020

More Mini-Scapes (& Messes)

It only took a week or so of utter mess in the studio to produce 4 more mini-scapes (miniature landscape quilts), which again were loads of fun and a great distraction from the news. More about the mess in a minute, but here are the quilts.


The scraps I'd been using were fewer and smaller, so I did pull quite a few fat quarters off the shelf...


...which gave me some new palettes to work with.


Still have a lot of those eagles left. I never get tired of using them.


That last one is a little different, due to the fantasy-like horse print from Timeless Treasures. I once did a much larger winter scene with some horses and the moon from that same fabric. Remember this one?

Nordic Night (click photo to zoom)
Anyway, blocking the mini-scapes is a breeze. I line them up (before binding) on the ironing board and hit them with loads of steam (hovering only). The next day I square and trim them.

The bindings on these mini-scapes (unlike those on my larger quilts) are completely machine sewn---first the raw edges to the front, then the folded edge turned to the back and stitched again from the front, this time using SID (stitch in the ditch). The SID simultaneously attaches the little triangle pockets on the back, which are for hanging (dowel rod tucked in the pockets). My preference, as seen above, is to perch them on an easel (with a piece of cardboard behind them for support).


On these little quilts, unlike the big ones, I backstitch and lockstitch---no knots to bury. Nor do I trim the little threads the machine leaves with the automatic thread cutter. However I do put a drop or two of Fray Check on each knot and at the ends of any satin stitching.

Anyway, back to the mess. When it gets to the point there's no room to cut or press anything, or find tools or even fabrics, since they're all in a pile, it's obviously time to clean up. BUT---I've learned that during the design/piecing process, it's important NOT to stop and throw trimmings in the trash can or re-fold the fat quarter I've just cut my applique from. Instead, the remnant goes flying into a pile on the chair to be dealt with later, and the trimmings get swiped off the table right on to the floor. Why? 


Because stopping to take care of the trimmings and remnants after every cut totally interferes with the design/inspiration flow. It might not seem like it would, but try tossing it all aside and you might notice a big difference in how well you work. There's a reason Eleanor Burns throws her scraps over her shoulder!

Everyone have a wonderful weekend, or as wonderful as can be during these trying times. Chin up, it won't last forever. Stay well (or get well fast) and be safe.

Linda

4 comments:

  1. Aha! NOW I understand the reason why I make such a mess - it's because it's interfering with the design flow!!!! And here all along I thought it was because I'm just a messy person (and lazy too). Thank you....it's such a relief. (ps....I love the horses!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MA, but see, you were at least flexible enough to surrender to the chaos of creation. It took me years to realize I wasn't doing myself any favors by being neat! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. These are lovely! I like to clean up after the project is done and before I start something new. Never in the middle of a project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, exactly! I can only imagine how many more quilts I'd have made over the years had I adhered to that method!! Thanks so much.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled merely to prevent spam. Your comment should show up within a day or two. Thank you for your patience.