Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Quilting Hiatus (Knitters Beware)

The other day I unfolded this remnant of a vest I cut out weeks ago, and, voila! Or should I say, "Moo."


Got a good laugh from seeing that. Anyway, the one quilt strip I was able to salvage from it ended up in this little quilt top for Project Linus.


And a quilt TOP it will remain, at least for now. Why? I'm out of commission for 8 weeks as far as quilting and knitting, due to a nerve issue in my left arm, which was caused by...knitting. To be more precise, knitting while leaning on my left elbow, which was always propped on the arm of the chair so that I could get more lamp light on my work. Knitters beware. This was a gradual progression, as I did not realize at the time (2015) how dim my eyesight was becoming, due to cataracts.

Cut to 2017, when I had cataract surgery on both eyes and could see great! No longer did I need to lean on my elbow into the lamp light to see my knitting....but I kept doing it anyway. I was so in the habit, that I repeatedly caught myself doing it all the way through 2018 and into this year.

And then the tremors started. First in my hand, then in my arm, then working their way up to my shoulder and neck. It's only visible in my hand, though. Then, last week, the muscles in that arm started occasionally tightening by themselves. Stress aggravates it, too, as stress does any physical condition. So now, long story short---no knitting and no quilting (which irritates the nerve somewhat as well)---for 8 weeks.

My poor husband. LOL No, seriously....

A happy Independence Day (July 4th) to everybody in the U.S., and a great weekend to all.

Linda

7 comments:

  1. Oh no - I'm sorry that you're out of commission for a bit. Those 8 weeks are going to seem awful!! At least they're in the summer, if that's one bit of consolation whatsoever. Take care of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Oh my gosh, you're so right, if this were winter I'd go out of my mind! And this might be a blessing in disguise. We'll see how it all shakes out.

      Delete
  2. Took me minutes to find that strip in the Linus quilt - hehe. So sorry to hear about your elbow and subsequent problem. Sudoku and drawing could be of help to while away time. Hope it's better soonest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Today I started rock painting (animals). We'll see how long that lasts! lol And I like sodoku. I do it if I'm having trouble shifting into left-brain mode for paying bills, etc. Very quick fix.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, also making Dorset buttons. Ain't no grass growin' under MY feet! lol

      Delete
  3. I do feel sorry for your husband! I sprained my ankle yesterday and I'm already driving my husband a little nuts. I feel for you too! I hope the 8 week hiatus does the trick. Maybe it's time to take some trips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch, been ages since I sprained anything (knock on wood). That's painful, so sorry! At least this nerve issue hasn't involved pain. I would love a trip to cooler climes right now. Good idea. Get that ankle healed fast!

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled merely to prevent spam. Your comment should show up within a day or two. Thank you for your patience.