Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Voting Day in the Stew-dio

Yep, I'm stewing in my studio, and I could use some input. Continuing my self-assigned 'color therapy' project this week, I'll at least have some progress to show over at The Free-Motion Quilting Project on Friday. That's assuming Leah Day isn't knee-deep in bathroom tile at the time. The woman amazes me!

I'm also linking up with http://fiberartistjourney.blogspot.com/2013/04/100th-post-anniversary-design-wall.html, where you'll see hand-dyed and handstitched books made of felt...they're gorgeous!

As mentioned in my April 12 post titled A Change in Scenery, I had just on impulse pieced a colorful, 15- x 22-inch quilt top. What I didn't mention was that April 12 happened to be my dad's birthday and, as he passed away a year ago this week, it was probably more than just some color I was needing when I pieced this. I was trying to boost my mood. 

It worked, thanks to some vivid, jewel-toned batiks and the distraction of starting something new. (I think Dad would understand, having been an artist before he ever became an Air Force Staff Sgt. mechanic and then as a civilian took on a maintenance supervising job that left him little time for drawing or painting.) The April 12 photo of this piece showed the black lines drawn on a vinyl overlay, and the 'stained-glass' look of those lines and colors really got my attention. Now the vinyl overlay is off, the black lines are free-motion satin-stitched in Isacord 40 weight thread, and the quilting, also free-motion, is done. All the piece needs is trimming and binding. But here's what I'm stewing over, as usual: binding in what color? And should it be a print or a solid?
 
 So today I did what I always do if that decision isn't made by the time the quilting is finished: cropped this shot to appear as if the quilt were already trimmed and chose border from the editing options, which allows me to put binding-sized borders in any color around the photo. I picked 5 or 6 different ones, saving each newly bordered photo under a different file name and leaving the original photo as is. The whole process took about 5 minutes.
 
I really don't think there's any faster way to see what binding (or border) color is going to make your quilt pop! Then you can start pulling actual fabrics in that color family, and you've avoided a lot of wasted time auditioning colors that won't work and having to put all that fabric away again. (I don't know about you, but that's a big deal in my current studio, where the drawers are so stuffed you can barely fit your fingers between fabrics. You should see my cuticles. Ugh...and ouch!)
 
After weeding out a couple of the photos, we're down to three choices for the binding: a medium-to-dark green, black (to go with the satin-stitching), and a magenta shade. Here are the three candidates (I'd line them up to make it easier, but there isn't room):


At this point, 'votes' would be more than appreciated. Then, after deciding on a general color, I can audition both prints and solids in that family. I'm hoping you'll take a few seconds to chime in with your opinion. Thanks so much!

Linda  

22 comments:

  1. well i would...i think if this most beautiful piece was mine...put plain dark gray binding on it...i am sorry about the lose of your father...it is so hard to loose our fathers...for girls it seems to be the only man who loves you just because we are...yes you were probably needing that boost of colour...we do usually get what we need not what we want...stay strong....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sherry. You're right, what other man would ever love us unconditionally? It's hard not to hear his voice, but I do often feel his presence. Thanks so much for your input on the quilt.

      Delete
  2. I like the magenta best - it really brings out the magenta in the landscape itself and to my eye, really makes everything more springlike.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mom! Quite a few people are liking that one so far.

      Delete
  3. I can see why you are having a hard time choosing, they are all beautiful. If I had to pick I think I would go for the black to continue the stain glass look. It depends on what you want to stand out in the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Black is my first choice, magenta is second. The green doesn't do much for me. Its very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very pretty. I really like the magenta. It just looks more festive to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The magenta lights and brightens it, the black would be my second choice

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really is lovely. I really like the magenta.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neat quilt! I love landscape quilts. I vote the green to go with the satin stitching, second is black.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At first I thought the black, but then looking at the magenta, I really like it. I do agree with LAQuilts that the magenta lightens and brightens the piece. I'd love to have you stop by and share your link on Design Wall Weekend at Fiber Artist Journey! http://fiberartistjourney.blogspot.com/2013/04/100th-post-anniversary-design-wall.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christina, I will do that! And thanks so much for the input.

      Delete
  10. My first choice was the green one, second the black. The magenta one hits the magenta fabrics to the front too much for my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rike. I noticed that, too, about the magenta. Pretty but perhaps too much emphasis on those colors, as you said. I thought maybe it was just me!

      Delete
  11. I lost my dad recently as well. It is far more a challenge than I ever expected it would be. I miss him everyday. I'm so happy you created such a lovely and vibrant piece from a place that could be so dark.

    It is a lovely piece and I'm positive your dad approves. I prefer the magenta color with the green being a close second.

    Follow me? www.theboredzombie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan, and I am so sorry for your loss. I'm sure time will dull our sadness, though never our memories. Blessings, and thanks for your input!

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled merely to prevent spam. Your comment should show up within a day or two. Thank you for your patience.