Thursday, September 14, 2023

Where Eagles Fly

In mid-June, my best friend suffered a stroke. As she struggles to come back to herself and us, and we pitch in to keep her kitty and her house going, I've kept myself together partly by working on a landscape quilt, now finished.



Where Eagles Fly is 15-1/2 inches x 32-1/2 inches. It will be listed in my Etsy shop as soon as I get the hanging sleeve made and attached.

The eagles remind me to fly above the turmoil, while the bear tells me to stay grounded...equally important. The ducks remind me to stay afloat, and on the wing as well.

This landscape began with some beautiful Northcott Mills fabrics (most from the Whispering Pines line), discovered at The Quilter's Trunk in Liberty, KY a couple of years ago. I love their shop, which from the outside looks like any other metal-roofed/sided industrial-type building in the middle of this beautiful Amish and Mennonite countryside. Inside, the merchandise is altogether modern, brightly lit and beautifully displayed. (And I found a refill for my Chaco chalk marker, which I'd been looking for for ages!)

Here are some closer shots of Where Eagles Fly. Click on any one to enlarge.


This one shows the quilting better.






After the sleeve is attached, I'll start some new quilt tops for Louisville Nimble Thimbles. They are a local guild that will make finished quilts from those tops, and then donate them, currently to Norton's Children's Hospital. I'm so grateful to be able to piece tops and have them be useful to this guild, as making a bed quilt, even with the QAYG method, isn't doable anymore--although I can still handle a crib quilt.

Fall is just around the corner and our weather has been delightfully cool for this time of year--unlike that of many folks across the USA and the world. We have been very fortunate, and these days I'm extra grateful for many things I used to take for granted. Like my best friend. Hopefully she will fully recover that blazingly brilliant mind of hers and be able to continue enjoying her simple, beautifully mindful daily existence. And I sure have missed working our jigsaw puzzles--another thing I took for granted. I've reminded her that (thanks to my sharing mom) we still have 25 of them waiting to be worked. That made her smile--and me grateful.

Have a blessed autumn--or spring, south of the equator. And be grateful whenever you can.

Linda

p.s.  I'm also very grateful to say that three of my landscape quilts are featured in the new Autumn 2023 issue of Art Quilting Studio Magazine. Thank you, Danielle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled merely to prevent spam. Your comment should show up within a day or two. Thank you for your patience.