Friday, December 14, 2018

Two Landscapes in One

Ever since finishing Villa with a View, I've heard other fabric panels calling to me from the closet, where they've been stashed quite a while. This is one of them, a one-yard scene from Timeless Treasures Fabrics.



Only after rescuing it from the closet and looking at it more closely did I notice that this is actually two different planes/levels of forest, one on top of the other (click on photo to enlarge). Pretty clever designing--fabric for two landscape quilts in a single yard!



So I cut it in half....


...then tested that half under the vinyl overlay I had used for Villa with a View...and realized those same arches would work for this panel, too!

So, out came the original drawing.




Then a tracing-paper overlay was cut (and reinforced with masking tape), to help me decide on the best position for the arched openings.











Next, pattern pieces were traced from the drawing onto freezer paper so they could be ironed onto the fabric. Only the wall/background piece was traced onto parchment paper, as I wanted to see that fabric through the pattern before cutting it out.





Moving things along with a condensed account of what followed...

Cutting out (right through the parchment paper) the wall/background from one of Northcott Mills' Stonehenge fabrics

Fusing the scene (with pre-applied Misty Fuse) to the muslin base, and fusing the interior arch and sill pieces over the scene

Fusing the wall/background to the muslin base

Two of the three white arch frames are fused in place. Testing positions of pieces with vinyl overlay...so far, so good!
More next time, when some critters will be added to the forest and the two columns will be embellished.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Linda

8 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you & once again your work is fabulous!
    I need a favor. If you get a chance, pop over to my blog & give me fabric suggestion for the eagles I've designed. I'm thinking I'll need to make a run to the fabric store.....;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rhonda, and Merry Christmas to you! Heading over your way now...

      Delete
  2. Thanks Linda for your comment I really appreciate it. I'm sure I'll think of something over the holidays and shopping for new fabrics always helps;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda, any excuse to get to a fabric store is a great one! I'm curious to see how these eagles can possibly be improved. I'm staying tuned.

      Delete
  3. Whoever invented freezer paper should get a medal! That stuff is good for so many things and what would we do without it. Following your progress on this with great interest...I love the idea of the three arches.
    Merry Christmas wishes to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the truth? I love the stuff, it is SO versatile. I read somewhere that if it weren't for quilters, the manufacturer would have stopped making freezer paper, since people mostly use plastic now. Been wanting to do the arches for years; don't know why I waited this long. Probably because I didn't have all those panels at the time. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  4. Another marvelous process post. It's going to be stunning! I must be in the wrong stores - I never see panels. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie. Most of my panels have been gifted to me. I used to feel a little daunted by them, thinking I had to quilt them just as they were. Now it's fun thinking of ways to chop them up and change them!

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled merely to prevent spam. Your comment should show up within a day or two. Thank you for your patience.