Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Middle Ground

Last week's batik scrap landscape is almost done--but not quite--which will be explained in the next blog. It has to do with VVHH's (very versatile handy husband's) part in it. Let's just say I'm not experienced with a drill, but he is.

During the delay, a UFO was pulled from the closet.


This was supposed to have been another 'ghost quilt'---meaning that outlines from the print fabric are extended into the background fabric with nothing but stitching (type ghost quilt in this blog's search box to see more about that process). But this piece wasn't working out as well as previous ones. The stitching just wasn't very visible. Why?

Because the background fabric was too much of a mid-tone. Not light or dark enough. Consequently, no matter what thread I tried, whether very light or very dark (I ended up using dark, as light was just plain wimpy), the stitching just did not stand out the way it was supposed to.


What to do? (Seems like I ask myself that a lot.)

Get out the fabric paint markers! They are so much fun, and have saved my arse more than once. Seven markers (yellow, brown, red-brown, red, pink, green and olive green) were pulled from the drawer and used in various combinations.


No, it's not looking so hot right now. But I'm still working on it, and hoping it will look okay when it's done.

So maybe two finished quilts will be posted next time. I hope so.

Linda

3 comments:

  1. What an interesting concept. You've given me a new idea that I really need to try. You can get both projects done. I have great confidence in your will to finish up!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rhonda, you gave me added impetus to finish one of them today. I can't wait to see what you are cooking up!

      Delete
  2. Linda, I think it looks awesome! What a good use of the markers, keep up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled merely to prevent spam. Your comment should show up within a day or two. Thank you for your patience.