Sunday, July 31, 2016
Like all quilters, we landscape quilters sometimes find our scrap stash getting out of control. This week, it was time to bust the green foliage stash (as opposed to the fall foliage), which had already filled two deep containers.
(Yes, these are Swiffer mop pad containers.)
Little mis-shapen bits that a non-landscape quilter might normally trash may go a long way toward building a landscape--especially one with lots of foliage. Even sky scraps can be helpful (see July 14th blog post). Landscape quilters don't throw much of anything away--right down to dryer lint and fabric ravelings. (Yep, I have containers of those, too.)
Four separate foliage units were made by fusing scraps onto Pellon Featherweight interfacing and stitching all the raw edges down using Superior Mono-Poly, with a layer of tear-away stabilizer underneath the interfacing. (The stabilizer was then removed.)
I made an effort not to trim or re-cut any of the scraps if I could avoid it, in order to speed things along. These units will probably turn up in future landscape quilts, the first three as backgrounds and the last one as a foreground. There will probably be a lake nestled into the first two.
I emptied one scrap container doing this. Yay!!
Next time, I'll have a finished wall quilt (non-landscape) made from the beautiful hand-dyed fabrics by Kathleen Starr that came in the July Quilty Box. I did my own thing with them, nothing fancy; just something simple and fast to brighten up my basement hallway.
Have a great day!