Thanks to the new machine, we're up and running again on the garrison quilt. On Wednesday I finished the center of the quilt (minus the girl, who will be added last).
In January, both the left and right sides (2/3 total) of the batting were cut away to decrease bulk and drag at the machine--and what a difference it made! So now that the entire center was quilted, it was time to re-insert one side of the batting.
I had been careful not to quilt any closer than four inches from the cut edge of the batting, so that it wouldn't be wavy when realigning it with the cut-away section. To rejoin the two pieces, I used a soft cloth tape made specifically for that purpose, and fused it right there on the cutting table (cutting mat removed to prevent warping). The tape worked great, bonding really well.
Quilting is now in progress on the left side. The photo here shows all that has been quilted so far (minus the pinned areas).
It's slow going, but well worth the time, and the new machine is doing free-motion like a champ. Not a single thread nest on the back during an entire two-hour session!
Hooking up at Whoop Whoop Friday, where Sarah has a tutorial out with a giveaway! Check it out, along with all her reader linkups. Also linking up with Leah Day's FMQ Project Linkup, where work is progressing on the Building Blocks group project.
On the weather front, we are in for yet another ice storm tomorrow and Sunday...what a winter this has been. My sister said the heck with it and took off for Florida yesterday. LOL
Everyone have a great weekend, whatever the weather!