|Um...I see green flower-head pins here. Apparently those two pieces weren't glued down when this was taken!|
Things lined up pretty well. Looking at the drawing on the vinyl overlay, you can see where I made a few changes. The little tree in the upper right-hand corner was simplified from the original, and the tree near the garrison window was moved to the left. A couple of bushes in the right-hand corner were shifted upward a bit, and the grassy areas on the right were repositioned. Overall, nothing really major. Then everything was tacked down (free-motion stitched as invisibly as possible near all the raw edges), except for the first few pieces already tacked last week. Now the quilt top can be handled without fear of any pieces peeling back or falling off.
After that, it went back on the design board, where I tested some black organza pieces for shadows. It took a while to decide where my light source should be. The source photo (see my post, Line by Missing Line) was shot on a completely overcast day around noon, so there were no visible shadows anywhere. What finally decided me on the light source was this juxtaposition of nearly-horizontal lines (the shadows) with vertical lines (just about everything else on the quilt!):
And what amazes me is how much more dimensional the image becomes (compare the photos below) with only three little organza test-pieces pinned on. Shadows make such a difference!
That's about it for this week. Hoping to have the young lady finished next week and tacked down on top of some permanent shadows.
Hooking up with Sarah Craig's Whoop Whoop Friday post--boy did I get a shot of inspiration there today! Also linking with Leah Day's FMQ Friday. Like me, she's piecing and designing instead of actual quilting just now. Remember to click on the reader hookups below each post to see what some quilters are up to.
Have a wonderful weekend!