Thursday, November 14, 2013

Everything but the Girl

Admittedly, that title has been used before, as the name of a music duo and as a TV movie title. But after gluing down the rest of the pieces this week and putting the quilt top back under the vinyl overlay to test the final fit, the phrase 'everything but the girl' immediately popped into my head...for obvious reasons. She looks a bit ghostly, doesn't she? Not for long, though. I made her hair yesterday and will work on her gown/coat tomorrow.

Um...I see green flower-head pins here. Apparently those two pieces weren't glued down when this was taken!

Things lined up pretty well. Looking at the drawing on the vinyl overlay, you can see where I made a few changes. The little tree in the upper right-hand corner was simplified from the original, and the tree near the garrison window was moved to the left. A couple of bushes in the right-hand corner were shifted upward a bit, and the grassy areas on the right were repositioned. Overall, nothing really major. Then everything was tacked down (free-motion stitched as invisibly as possible near all the raw edges), except for the first few pieces already tacked last week. Now the quilt top can be handled without fear of any pieces peeling back or falling off.

After that, it went back on the design board, where I tested some black organza pieces for shadows. It took a while to decide where my light source should be. The source photo (see my post, Line by Missing Line) was shot on a completely overcast day around noon, so there were no visible shadows anywhere. What finally decided me on the light source was this juxtaposition of nearly-horizontal lines (the shadows) with vertical lines (just about everything else on the quilt!):


And what amazes me is how much more dimensional the image becomes (compare the photos below) with only three little organza test-pieces pinned on. Shadows make such a difference!


That's about it for this week. Hoping to have the young lady finished next week and tacked down on top of some permanent shadows.

Hooking up with Sarah Craig's Whoop Whoop Friday post--boy did I get a shot of inspiration there today! Also linking with Leah Day's FMQ Friday. Like me, she's piecing and designing instead of actual quilting just now. Remember to click on the reader hookups below each post to see what some quilters are up to.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Linda






14 comments:

  1. Interesting about the shadows - again from you I learn and grow - thank you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Carol, that's wonderful to hear, as I learn so much from everyone else! Thank YOU.

      Delete
  2. This is going to be spectacular. What a huge difference the shadows make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vicki! I am very much looking forward to getting busy on some of your hand-dyes. I had them all out the other day again. Just looking at them cheers me up and inspires me. They are so incredibly beautiful.

      Delete
  3. Wow those shadows are awesome! Well, the quilt is awesome and the shadows add SO much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Renee! I don't much enjoy putting sheer, delicate fabrics on these quilts, but boy, but they definitely make a difference in the overall appearance. I got that from Joyce Becker, among other quilting authors, and it took me a long time to get the nerve up to try it.

      Delete
  4. Again I am totally blown away with your progress. Looking forward to the addition of the girl and then the thread work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne, thank you! I'm having fun trying to figure out what fabrics to use for her coat.

      Delete
  5. Shadows and light are EVERYTHING right? There would be no dimension without them. It's coming along really nicely! Looking forward to seeing where it goes next. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thank you. Yes, and you can imagine how frustrating it was to want so much to make a quilt from a photo that just happens to have no shadows at all. I seem to take a lot of those--if not on an overcast day, then too close to noon. This time it was both!

      Delete
  6. Love your work.
    A good photo can certainly make things easier. I have the same problem trying to draw portraits from photos, either they have too much light or not enough. The shadows add definition and depth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Autumn. I even messed around with all the special effects in my photo program. The closest I could get was a 'sunspot' effect. It helped in maybe 5% of the photo...which of course wasn't really any help at all. :)

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled merely to prevent spam. Your comment should show up within a day or two. Thank you for your patience.