Thursday, February 4, 2016

Slowly but Surely

"Slow and steady wins the race," according to Aesop in his famous fable, The Tortoise and the Hare.

Well it's a darned good thing, because that's pretty much all I can say about progress on the stripey-aster quilt. (No, I did not say stripey-a*s quilt, although it's tempting.)

Here's where it stands (or lies) for the moment...


...and if I knew how many knots I've buried at this point, I'd probably shoot myself. So much for making things easier on my shoulders by switching to feed dogs up and the dual feed system. The number of times thread had to be broken and knots had to be buried...well, like I said, it's better not counted.

There was one project completed just before that, made from the beautiful supplies that came in the December Quilty Box selection, chosen by Leah Day.


It was a relief to work on these blocks (small pieces, yay!). If I had this to do over, though, the bright green joining strips would be dark purple instead. Ah, well. I still like it, and it sure does brighten up our basement hallway!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Linda

5 comments:

  1. Linda, your quilt from the December box is spectacular! Your FMQ is at a high level. Congratulations. Does your machine have a cutting button? It looks wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie. I don't trust the lock stitch not to come undone, so I never use the thread cutter unless I'm at the edge. Also, I never know whether these quilts are going to end up in competition or not, but the few times they have, it drove the judges NUTS if I left any knots exposed. And when my machine locks and cuts, it leaves half-inch tails, which makes it really hard to bury the knots. I do sometimes use a little backstitching and then cut and use fray check for extra insurance. Of course I couldn't do that with the programmed serpentine stitch. Grrrr.

      Delete
  2. Hello Linda,

    Both these projects are totally fab. The lime green joining strips are a statement in themselves. Just think how many variations on a theme you can do now, staring with purple. The asters are totally gorgeous, the white petals just jump out at you, and no they don't rhyme with ar*e.

    I love your chat with Angie. I haven't a clue what you're on about. If I can't lay hands on the scissors I will readily cut the threads with my right canines.

    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I remember my grandma breaking thread with her teeth. I've got way too many crowns in my mouth for that, LOL. Also lol on the ar*e thing. You know, it's funny; why did I feel the need to asterisk a letter in a perfectly good word for a donkey? But I guarantee you, somebody would have taken offense. I actually debated the issue in my head (for about a minute). I need to quit caring whether I lose a reader or two just for being myself. I really wanted to type 'ass.' Oops, I said it!!! Oh, my aster quilt may already have a buyer, my sister-in-law. I hope she likes it when it's finished.

      Love,
      Linda

      Delete
    2. And maybe I should have said 'assterisk'. LOL

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled merely to prevent spam. Your comment should show up within a day or two. Thank you for your patience.