Monday, November 20, 2017

Waiting...

....and waiting, still. As of today it has been 3 months and 11 days since my sewing machine went into the shop.

Long story short, I'm told that the Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP is the only one of Janome's models in which the LCD light is tied into the mother board. When one goes, so does the other. The light, which was my issue, is an inexpensive part. The mother board, however is far from inexpensive. And apparently there are enough Janome 8900 owners having this issue (found two other people with the same complaint in my Janome 8900 Yahoo group, which is fairly small) that the factory has the mother board on backorder until the end of this month.

Since projects are piling up, I decided not to add any more to the pile except this one, pieced from the October Quilty Box selection, curated by Leah Day.


Leah has been my go-to for free motion quilting tutorials for years now, and I really like the batiks that she designed for this project. Here's the tutorial for this quilt.

So the top is finished, but the quilting, which will be free motion outline quilting, is waiting for the machine. (Refer to the previous post to see why I'm rolling my eyes at the use of that phrase.)

I also made the quickie project included in the Quilty Box, the Tutu Notions Holder and Pincushion, which only required a small piece of fabric and a canning jar, lid and screw band to complete.

Haven't decided what threads, etc. to put in it yet.




What has really changed in the last two months, while waiting for the machine, is that I've become obsessed with knitting again. After sewing the buttons on a long-finished sweater for granddaughter Lucy...






...I've started a sweater for her from Alice Starmore's book, The Children's Collection, from a pattern called "Secret Garden." The book's photos of the sweater, which is made from a different color yarn than that pictured at the link, had me practically drooling. I'm knitting a size well in advance of Lucy's age so I can take my time and break away when needed, for landscape quilting...that is, if my machine ever comes back!

Have a great week and, if you're in the U.S., a happy Thanksgiving. 

Linda

8 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! I hope your Janome returns soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my! Hope the machine issue is resolved soon. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angie, me too. At this point it's almost...almost...funny. :) Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

      Delete
  3. Wow, Linda - that little sweater is just darling. :) Your poor machine! I would be so stir crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynette, thanks, and believe me, if it weren't for knitting to fall back on, I would be more than stir crazy, I'd be insane! LOL

      Delete
  4. Wow - that sure sounds like poor customer service doesn't it. So sorry it's taking so long...hopefully you will get a break on the cost of the repairs after waiting all this time. Must be something in the air because I'm knitting a sweater for a grandbaby too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will soon be FOUR months at this rate! I cleaned up the studio yesterday so I can get right to it when the machine comes back. In the meantime, knitting has been my salvation. Great to hear from another knitter, and isn't knitting for grandkids just the best!

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled merely to prevent spam. Your comment should show up within a day or two. Thank you for your patience.