Friday, August 21, 2015

Just a Frame-up Job

No progress to report on the landscape quilt these last few weeks, but 24 blocks (tops only) are done for the next quilt for The Center for Women and Families (Louisville, KY).

It's kind of a scrappy/crazy quilt, and since each untrimmed block can sometimes be a bit bigger (or a lot bigger) than the final size, there are of course options as to where to cut the finished square.


The trouble is, for me at least, it's difficult to visualize the finished block while staring through all these lines, dots and numbers. Does anyone else find this challenging?

So it occurred to me to make a 'frame' to audition the final blocks. No doubt this has been done by other folks, but since I've never seen the idea anywhere, I wanted to share it. (I'm still pretty new at making quilts other than the landscape type.)

I placed the 12-1/2 inch ruler in the middle of a piece of white poster board, drew a line around the ruler, then cut just outside those lines, so that the cut-out would end up slightly larger than the ruler.


After moving the frame around on the block and settling on a position I liked, I dropped the ruler into the cut-out, lifted the frame away, and cut the final square.

This way of auditioning works so much better for my eyes and brain! Hope it'll help someone else who might never have thought to try this.

It was especially helpful on blocks that started out even bigger than this one did.




















Also reorganized my thread, which had become a total mess. It's kept on the shelves VVHH (very versatile handy husband) made years ago for our son's Hot Wheels. Almost everything gets re-purposed around here!












Off subject, there are two new additions to the Lucy drawer:



This was made with Deborah Norville Serenity Baby acrylic yarn (slightly chunky) in the color called 'Sleepytime.' I love self-striping variegated yarns, and the little almost flower-like motifs that appear in the spaces between the colored stripes. I almost got the sleeves to come out looking the same. (Didn't plan ahead as well as I should have.)








The sundress is knitted from Deborah Norville Everyday acrylic worsted in the color 'Pond,' and Martha Stewart Crafts acrylic worsted for the solid green. The dress turned out a bit on the heavy side. The pattern called for cotton yarn, but I had thought the acrylic worsted weight would work okay. We'll see.






Here's the little love that makes me want to spend so much of my quilting time knitting instead. She just turned 5 months old on the 18th.

Lucy's shirt came from the Etsy shop of Lannie B. Handmade
VVHH and I now have the pleasure and privilege of watching Lucy (our first grandchild) for two days a week. She loves to watch me knit, by the way. And as soon as this kiddo can glue, I hope to have her in the studio making landscape quilts right alongside me!

Linking up with Whoop Whoop Fridays and WIPs Be Gone. Check them out, you'll be glad you did!

Have a great weekend~~

Linda

8 comments:

  1. Omg - Lucy is adorable! I am in awed your thread collection. What kind of thread do you use? It looks like all the same brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol! Thanks, she has stolen our hearts, that's for sure. The tall spools are mostly Isacord (with a few Floriani) and the small spools on the second shelf are Superior brand, mostly their Nature Colors line.

      Delete
  2. Such a precious!! Lucy has stolen my heart. You are so priviledged to be able to watch her for two days. I'd be hard pressed to focus on anything but her. You are blessed. Thanks for linking to WIPs Be Gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie, she is such a joy. I put everything else aside when she's here unless she's napping. We are indeed blessed!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, isn't Little Miss Muffet gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing her modelling all the snug woolly outfits in autumn.

    Great trick with the cardboard frame. Love the little butterfly in the middle.

    Love, Muv, and give Lucy a big cuddle from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, and gladly! Thanks, I'm really having fun making this donation quilt. Besides, the landscape quilt just isn't flowing like they usually do.

      Love, Linda

      Delete
  4. What a cutie!!! They grow up so quickly, it nice that you and hubby get to see her often.
    Thanks for the tip about the frame. Looking thru the old ruler was never any fun. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rhonda, we are feeling very, very blessed. Glad to know it wasn't just me dealing with that ruler!

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled merely to prevent spam. Your comment should show up within a day or two. Thank you for your patience.