Thursday, July 2, 2015

Incidentals

More FMQ was done this week on the densely-stitched fat-quarter landscape (see last week's post), but probably not enough to warrant new photos.

The background for the forest has been cut and glued onto The Overlook quilt top. Most of this tree-print batik piece will be covered up with various, more realistic-looking trees; whether made of fabric applique or thread-painted applique (or both) remains to be seen. Any dark green that's left showing through will hopefully give the impression of deep forest beyond. That's this fabric's main job; the printed trees are incidental.


That's all on the quilting front, except for this:

Mokie seems to like Pokey, too.





Got these recently for 40 percent off and no shipping costs. Three seasons of Quilting Arts TV with host Pokey Bolton! I like the current host, Susan Brubaker Knapp, just fine, but I do miss Pokey.

Incidentally, a couple of sweaters for Lucy got finished during the last couple of weeks. They're sized for 18 to 24 months, but she might be able to wear them this winter, at the rate she's growing!


The yarn is Deborah Norville's Everyday acrylic worsted (one of the softest yarns on the market), by Premier Yarns, in a variegated called 'Lilac Ridge.' It just knits out like this--all one yarn. I did my best to get the two front halves to knit out with the same 'stripe' placement, also the sleeves, but the almost perfect lineup at the armholes (well, one of them) was just a happy accident.

The other sweater is actually a kimono shirt, also knitted in a variegated acrylic Premier Deborah Norville yarn, this one in the Serenity Chunky line. The color is 'Berry Burst.'

Deliciousness...
It's very little exaggeration to say that the whole time I was knitting this, I wanted to EAT the yarn. It is thick (hence the 'chunky'), very textural but soft, and in person looks like strawberries and cream. My mouth literally watered a couple of times. I liked it so much that when the Serenity Chunky line of yarn went on sale at Joann Fabric online in early June, with free shipment on orders over $60, I went a little nuts and ordered four skeins each of the variegated yarns in this next photo.

Sherbet with sprinkles, anyone?

It might be hard to tell from the photo, but these look good enough to eat, too.

Hooking up with Whoop Whoop Fridays and WIPs Be Gone. Check them out!

Everyone have a great weekend, and, if you're in the U.S., a fun and safe 4th of July holiday!

Linda

10 comments:

  1. Like how your landscape is coming. I'm getting an itch to try one of these for myself. I may be nagging you for tips and help in the near future.
    Love the little knits, gorgeous wool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nag away, lol. Actually, most of what I do is taken from books on the subject. I've found several good ones at the library. Gloria Loughman, Nancy Zieman & Natalie Sewell, Joyce Becker, to name a few authors. There are many more, all of them very helpful. I've gone into overdrive with the knitting lately, but it does cut down on the quilting time.

      Delete
  2. Linda, if you hadn't said that the little cardigan was all knitted in the same yarn I would never have guessed - amazing matching with the stripes! Lucy is going to be so snug this winter.

    Love,
    Muv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Muv. I'm not crazy about the starkness of the plum stripe, which looks a little masculine to me, but overall I'm liking the sweater. Sure hope Lucy does. :)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful landscape. You are a woman of many talents for sure including owning a great kitty....looks a little like my Elly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Mokie is the sweetest thing...I think that's true of most cats of this type. Such a nurse cat. She worries entirely too much about us.

      Delete
  4. Linda, I follow your blog recently because of the landscape quilts. But the knitting is so fun. The kimono shirt is so cute!!
    (Seems your left sleeve is shorter. May that's is the reason that the stripe placement is not the same?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maartje, it's funny, the sleeves measure the same, so all I can think is that maybe the mismatched stripe placement on the sleeves is giving the illusion that one of them is shorter than the other. We'll find out, when Lucy tries it on! LOL

      Delete
  5. That is gorgeous yarn! Makes me want to get back to my knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I actually ordered more last weekend in two other color runs. Somebody stop me!! I hope you do get back to knitting. I'd forgotten how therapeutic and fun it is.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled merely to prevent spam. Your comment should show up within a day or two. Thank you for your patience.